Search This Blog

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Blog Post #3

Blog Post #3:

stick figures titled peer edit
How Can You Provide Meaningful Feedback to Your Peer?

After watching the video What is Peer Editing? and the Slideshow Peer Edit with Perfection Tutorial, I realized that I have not always edited a peer’s paper correctly! The video and tutorial outline three steps for peer editing: compliment, suggestions, and corrections. When editing someone’s paper- you should always compliment them: stay positive; give detailed suggestions: such as word choice, details, organization, topics, or sentences; and make corrections: such as grammar, punctuation, or spelling.

After watching Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes , I realized that there are so many instances which people think they are helping a peer, but actually they are being a “Picky Patty”, “Jean the Generalizer”, or “Pushy Paula”. We should care about what others think, but when someone is mean, loud, pushy, or disrespectful t is hard to view their criticism as constructive. On the other hand, one should not be off task, uncaring, or overly defensive. It is hard to edit for anyone, but especially one’s peer. These are people that are your same age, that you interact with daily. In so many instances people do not give adequate feedback because they do not want to hurt anothers feelings. On the flip of that- sometimes people think they are close enough to be bluntly honest and this is not a good decision, either. Finding that thin, positive, line is hard for some, but it is beneficial for all involved.

Critique of Group Members:

image of editing marks
Brianne Smith’s Blog Assignment #2 is thorough and well thought out. She incorporates many pictures and her post flows well. She uses headings to break-up the text into categories which is very organized. I could not find any spelling or grammar errors. Her post is well written.

Amanda Weller’s Blog Assignment #2 is also very thorough and well written. There are no grammar or spelling errors. She also incorporates many visual aides. Her organization is thorough and astonishing.

Lisa Smith’s Blog Assignment #2 is also well written, but there are a few minor details that I would change. I have commented on her post and made her aware of my feelings concerning this. My comments are: “I think you done an amazing job summarizing "The Networked Student". I love the details! I just had a few concerns I wanted to share with you. Please look at this as positive criticism and if you have any questions feel free to email me! I think you should change some of the colors (such as all the titles of each post) or at least make all of them bold and unified. It gets a little hectic reading the blog with some things bold and others not. Also- there are a few words that were edited but the text was never changed back to all black (like endings of a word in red). I like the pictures the group chose to incorporate. Overall your blog looks really good, I just think these minor details would really bring the actual writing out- instead of paying attention to the mistakes. Thanks for listening!” And you can find my comment here.

Offering Suggestions: After pondering Dr. Strange’s question: Will you offer suggestions (peer blog post assignments) publicly or privately? I have had a hard time making this decision because I feel there are valid reasons for each choice. I have ultimately chosen publicly, though. You never know when others need assistance or have similar problems/ questions. If you are critiquing someone in private then others can not improve from you, only the single person you are privately speaking with. When you are critiquing publicly, though, other people can read your advice and hopefully take something from it- improving multiple people’s blog (hypothetically speaking, of course!). I know there will always be negative counterparts to publicly criticizing, even if it is constructive, due to language barriers and lack of tone. I will just have to try hard to put emotion into my words and convey my feelings positively and enthusiastically in order to not offend someone, but rather uplift and help better them.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post! Hope you have a wonderful day! Thought this last picture was perfect to close with...
comical punctuation

3 comments:

  1. Hey Heather!
    Great post! I also learned a lot from this assignment. I really love you photo at the end. It really shows the importance of good grammar in our writing!
    In your second paragraph there is a sentence that has an extra t in it.
    "We should care about what others think, but when someone is mean, loud, pushy, or disrespectful t is hard to view their criticism as constructive".
    I really enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Heather that was an amazing blog post. I learned so much just from reading it. Your pictures give your post so much detail and really brings it to life. I was not sure how to do the critique part of the assignment but your blog post was a great example to go by.
    I really enjoyed your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...disrespectful t is hard..." it (the i is missing)

    "...do not want to hurt anothers feelings." another's, not anothers

    Thoughtful. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete