Search This Blog

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Blog Post #14:

What Did Dr. Strange Leave Out? 

I am supposed to create a blog post for that Dr. Strange SHOULD HAVE created in my area of specialty: Elementary Education... then I am supposed to DO IT!

But what is left? We have covered PLN's, how to add TITLE and ALT modifiers to pictures, podcasts, creating and editing videos, Social Media, PBL, iCurio, DiscoveryEd, Common Core, writing a quality blog post, and many other tools and techniques to better ourselves as educators. How could Dr. Strange have left anything else after we covered all of this plus more? The thing is, education and tools used on the web are always evolving and changing. An example would be social media... Who remembers "MySpace"??? This was possibly the biggest social media network ten years ago, then this changed to FaceBook, and now there is Twitter. My point is- tools are always changing and there is always going to be a newer, better version of something. As an educator is crucial to keep up with these changes to relate to students in their generation, and to be able to teach students using the most generation-ally appropriate materials available. 

So how do I answer the question: "What did Dr. Strange Leave Out?" to better his future classes if his future classes will be using newer tools and app's than my class has? Is this question a "Catch-22"? Does he really want me to give a tool for them to use that will possibly be outdated in 2-3 months? 

I THINK NOT!

I could make a blog post that is something like this:

Create a Symbaloo account here.
Create several webmixes in order to keep track of: 
-Social Media 
-Common Core Information
-Teachers Blogs that are insightful
-PBL examples that could be used in the future
and create blog post explaining why you chose these and how it will benefit you as an educator. 

But what is the point of doing this? Will Symbaloo still be as valuable in months to come as it is now? Or will there be a newer, better tool available for people to keep track of sites and information? If you refer to my previous post: PLN Final Report: I explain my Symbaloo Webmixes and show examples of Webmixes i have created. 

So to finish this post: I could have created a post of a tool we did not cover in EDM310 (Such as Symbaloo), but what would be the point? As previously mentioned: Tools are always evolving and changing! There is no way to accurately say what I suggest now will be useful in future semesters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment